Friday, September 25, 2015

9/08/2015 Josh Samuels

20150908
           
This morning started of wonderful until discovering that other members of the tribe witnessed the Northern Lights last night. At fist I was extremely upset that not any pictures were taken. I was also angered that at the thought that not a single one of them thought to wake up the group. Then I remembered that fir sine reason I was not meant to see the Northern Lights, just yet. Some adventures are yet to be discovered. I took this into deep pondering and examination throughout the rest of my morning. I thought deep and hard on why I was here, and what I really needed to get out of ECOEE. There are many reasons, many explanations, but only one true answer. To live.
Not to see, I can watch a video in 415 Currens Hall. Not to touch, I can grab books off the library shelves. Not to hear, I can listen to the professor’s talk mindlessly about things they know nothing more about than I. Definitely not to taste, as the café in any residence hall is an experience enough. Not to smell because peoples cigarette smoke fills the air in any doorway to the buildings on campus. I am here to live. This is why no picture of the Northern Lights should be taken. Seeing the pictures might satisfy some small part, but not enough to really accomplish the goal. The goal of life is to really live. This is why I am here on ECOEE, to learn to live again. To get into the simple stages of life and not just through a picture, but in my soul.
The Native Americans once believes that a photograph was taking a part of your soul in every picture someone took of you. I see this as ever picture that you did not experience for yourself. No pictures of the sun or of the rain today would truly capture the feeling of it on your skin. No video recording of the buzzing of the mosquitos will create the annoyance of being swarmed. As individuals in modern life we try to experience as much as we can as fast as we can. Though ask yourself, think deep and long, what are you really experiencing? What are you really doing? What are you really living?

                        Joshua M. Samuels               
                                   

P.S. I saw the Northern Lights the very next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment