Friday, September 25, 2015

8/26/2015 Meg Mason


Wednesday 8/26/15
Today we managed to sleep in until 7:00 a.m. at which point we got up and made cocoa wheats and honey for breakfast. After breakfast clean-up we had a couple minutes before class began for the day. Today’s class was held under a tarp on the shore of Blue Bay where we discussed the different styles of leadership and their potential strengths and weaknesses. As we sat in the sand, I couldn’t help but think that this time last year I was sitting in the concrete walls of Currens trying my hardest to pay attention and figure out how a class whose subject is outdoor education and adventure recreation is still relevant when it is being taught in doors. It is so much easier to pay attention and learn concepts and principles when you might be actively applying them the next day. Now as I lie in my sleeping bag for the night and listen to the waves roll in with the occasional sound of a loon in the background I can’t help but think how lucky I am to be a part of this program. It’s 9:40 p.m. now and I’m going to bed in preparation for 13 mi. of canoeing and a ½ mi. long portage tomorrow. Yet I still can’t help but think no matter how hard it gets, it’s better than being stuck in a concrete box.
Meaghan L. Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment