Friday, September 25, 2015

9/7/2015 Bobby Liston

Bobby Liston
9/7/15

            Wow, I can’t believe today is my day to have the journal. After a night of catching three northern pike and Caleb finding a school of walleye there is not much more a guy could ask for. I have been feeling a little tired mentally and physically from this expedition. After Jeff read an excerpt from the  Singing Wildnerness by Sigurd Olson, a wonderful book I was assigned to read, put everything into perspective. Something needed to be changed and I needed to turn this trip around. I might never know that longing for adventure after ECOEE. I say this because it is the first time doing many of these things. The next day (today) I woke up, packed my gear nice and early and portaged. It was a gloomy day which made my mood not so bright. We were given a lesson on rapids and we walked up a pretty strong rapid grasping our paddles for balance. We were then given the option of running the rapids or carrying our canoes across the portage full of rocks and logs. At first, I was extremely afraid. This was more of a fear of the unknown. I knew this was the kind of fear I wanted from this trip. Something I have been waiting for my entire life. Josh and I looked at each other after a quick scouting session and said “Lets do this, do or die”. After strapping my Kodak action cam to my chest we were ready. WHAT A RUSH! As we raced down the rapids and my adrenaline was spiking in my veins. “DRAW RIGHT! STEER LEFT!”, commands were shouted out and we finally landed in the calm eddie. What a thrill ride, and I couldn’t believe I was scared to do this. I also said the same thing when I went on my first roller coaster ride. This was a giant leap from my confidence and flying through my rapids and I knew the Missinaibi River has finally welcomed us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment