Friday, September 25, 2015

9/18/2015 Steve Nutt

            Today was our last full day on the river. A whole month of paddling, rapid riding, and eating limited rations on one of the most beautiful rivers I have ever been on is finally nearing the end. To say it hasn’t been easy is an understatement, but if there was ever something that was worth a struggle, it would be this trip. When you are put in a setting where you are expected to be a competent vigilant leader every second of the day in such a remote and demanding environment has been challenging to say the least. One of the most important things you learn out here is that everything you do has a purpose. Don’t pack your bags correctly and they will sink to the bottom of the river. Don’t shoot for the V’s and you’ll have a flipped canoe in the middle of a roaring rapid. Don’t set up a tarp and you’ll cook in the rain. Don’t pack your rations correctly and you’ll be so hungry that you eat uncooked ramen for a snack. While life is not easy out here, at least it’s fair. I’ve challenged myself more than I thought I ever would and each week I learned something about myself. Living in the wilderness is more than just hanging bear bags, setting up tarps, and building fires, it’s learning to think for yourself and adapt to whatever comes your way. Whether it’s a mean rapid, horrible weather, treacherous terrain, or conflict between your comrades, you have to learn to overcome. You realize what you take for granted, and who you take for granted because sometimes it takes a journey like this to realize it. I know that when I see the Missinaibi on a map years from now, the memories of this trip expedition will never be forgotten.

-Steve Nutt


No comments:

Post a Comment