Friday, September 25, 2015

8/31/2015 Josh


20150831
05:00AM Beep. Beep! BEEP! Someone’s watch alarm is ringing in a far away tent. While I was awoken suddenly, I felt strangely calm waiting for the alarm to stop.

06:00 AM Buzz. Buzz! BUZZZZZZZ!!!!! My own watch vibrating me awake to the start of yet another day. Hiking across the camp to where my tent group was staying. Any good day much start with a warm pot of cinnamon oatmeal with some clumping brown sugar. Scarfing it down as plans shift from a 08:00 AM departure time to 07:45 AM. Arrival to the instructor’s island a quarter mile across the bay. Packing camp and loading the gear into the canoes had just become the start of any other day of classes. Traveling from one bay to the next refining the technical skills of paddling a canoe. The sunshine only broke through the dense layers of fog around noon, breaking yesterdays trend of off and on rain. Arriving at our home for the night in Fifty Seven Bay. The outcrop of a stone is a welcome sight as our sore shoulders and cramping buttocks from paddling for four plus hours. We had an hour and a half to set up our new home and eat some lunch. Some members of the tribe concluded that this was much to long for such a simple task and began to fish, swim, or just bask in this sunlight.
            Now time for class. Today was one of those days that remind me that I am not only on an adventure. I am not only experiencing things that I have previously only dreamed about, I am not just on an expedition, but I am in a traveling classroom. This sunny afternoon consisted of two lessons taught by students. One of the lessons by myself and the other, by Steve Acuff. I brought around a new way of looking at some of the environment issues here in the country of Canada. Steve informed us of the wide variety of ecosystems that we will be seeing along our wonderful semester.
            As previously mentioned, the weather had changed for the hotter, brighter, and much drier. Though some, like myself, may enjoy this change to an extremely large extent, though the mosquitos enjoy it more. They have enjoyed sucking us dry of the red sweetness that they desire. As I sit here next to the water all I hear is buzz… Buzz… BUZZZZZ… just like the beginning of my day, the end finishes with a buzz.

Joshua M. Samuels   




 

No comments:

Post a Comment