Friday, September 25, 2015

9/2/2015 Steve Nutt

                Today I woke up in my tent at 5:00am to a loud creaking coming from an abandoned water tower just outside our campsite. Judging by the scat nearby and the claw marks on the trees; it must’ve been a black bear investigating the food bags our group had hung the night before. It’s the things like hoisting food 12 feet in the air, and having to yell every time you go out to pee that makes me realize how far out here I really am which is both extremely exciting and sometimes overwhelming. Today was a long day of paddling. We made it to Fairy Point on Missinaibi Lake and then and extra 5 miles to our campsite. We were greeted with a beautiful view of the lake and the good news that we would be staying an extra day at this beautiful campsite in order for us to complete our outdoor education introduction lessons. My favorite part of the day was seeing the pictographs at Fairy Point. My wish, which I nagged Steve Acuff about for the whole week, was finally granted. Reading about the pictographs online is interesting enough, but to see them in person was mezmoring. The huge granite cliff faces were dotted with assorted drawings of different figures, symbols, and animals which some were up to 1500 years old. As I paddled by and gazed at the pictographs, I pictured the Shaman’s standing in their canoes and painting these symbols after experiencing a spiritual epiphany, the story of forgotten people. I looked around and reminded myself that they shared the same lake that I paddled on today. As I took in the moment, I also thought of how these pictographs are some of the last remnants of the Essinovoi tribe which were some of the first people to live on these lands. To some the pictographs are simply stick figures on rocks, but to them, it was a canvas of their history, culture, and heritage. As Bobby’s gopro camera glitched for the first time ever trying record the pictographs, I got the feeling the Shaman’s spirits were whispering “We still live here”.
-Steve Nutt



                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment