Friday, September 25, 2015

9/16/2015 Steve Acuff

            Day 25. Two more days and a wake up. 3 ½ weeks without a shower or power. Two pairs of socks, two pairs of skivvies, one pair of pants. Everything I have needed carried with me nearly 200 miles. The 60+ pounds of food I have brought is reaching the last scraps of noodles and the final candy bars I have been saving for the final stretch. While most people would be overcome with joy knowing that in less than 72 hours they could shower, eat real food and check their email, I am a little distraught that “reality” will be present shortly. Almost four weeks ago during a rainstorm in a tiny ten with two other large tribesmen, I thought to myself that this would be a really long adventure. Now as I gaze at the immaculate night sky with its endless stars, I cannot imagine a place I would rather be. Living in the wilderness brings its very own set of complexities but it is very much simpler than the urban charades we play back home. Here there is meaning to everything you do; meals are more satisfying, weather is more appreciated, a star lit sky something to revel at as you drift off to sleep with the leaves rustling and the rapids roaring. It’s easy to get caught in the shallow web of money and materials and disregard the simple and essential natural side of us we have almost rid ourselves of. Over the years I have moved all over the country/world struggling to find a place or a calling of my own. While I sit here in the woods night after night, day after day I feel at peace with the world and right at home. We are all from the Earth and will become Earth again. Nature calls to us; we are wired to be a part of and enjoy green spaces just as we are wired to be with others and enjoy their company. So, how lucky am I to be in this program enjoying the wilderness and the company of my peers? How lucky am I that I am learning to lead people into beautiful wilderness and share and develop the same appreciations and love I have with others? Even through the physical pains, the rain soaked days, the freezing nights and the uphill hikes, every day is memorable and the sun filled wonders with the bird chirping help drive that point home. While the end of this adventure may be bittersweet, there are many more to come this semester and this life. With the a renewed vigor and lust for the outdoors I am excited for all the places I will go, things I will see, and people I will enjoy it all with.
-Steve Acuff 

No comments:

Post a Comment