Friday, September 25, 2015

9/19/2015 Bobby Liston

Bobby Liston
9/19/15


            What a bitter-sweet ending it is. Waking up for twenty-eight straight mornings in the beautiful wilderness of Canada is something that is unexplainably wonderful. I was a part of the river like blood in veins. I will never forget the Missinaibi for as long as I live. The pines, the rapids, the fish, the waterfalls, and most importantly the experiences I had with my comrades. Our ups and downs can be compared to headwinds on a wavy lake. Our good times can be explained as hitting a V perfectly in a rapid without hitting a rock. I knew this trip was going to be great, but with previous ECOEE’s having twenty-eight straight days of rain, my hopes for sun couldn’t have been fulfilled more. The sun was so plentiful that most of us felt lucky, or that god had answered our prayers. Getting off the river was difficult. The longing for the end was evident in most of us, but the river and the elements had been so great to us. Hitting civilization was a very strange feeling. Hearing music, looking in a mirror, eating food that is made by somebody else, I have all taken for granted. The little luxuries in life are great, but being stripped of them makes us appreciate life a whole lot more. Being away from family with little communication is a little hard, but it makes us love and appreciate them more. Thank you Missinaibi, I hope this is not the last time I see your beautiful waters.


No comments:

Post a Comment