Friday, September 25, 2015

8/20/2015 Bobby Liston

Bobby Liston
Journal Entry 8/20/15


            Today I woke up in the Gate’s home and realized how nice it was that we got to stay there. As I woke up and packed my things, I came to the realization that this would be the last time in an actual house with a good home cooked meal. We said our goodbyes and gave out our gifts to the friendly family in Michigan. The lessons and advice that Mr. Gator gave us is still ringing in our heads. He opened all of our eyes to the topics, delivery, and passion that should be demonstrated in the outdoors interpretation. He was a great example of how an interpreter should carry themselves. We then headed to Howard Christensen Nature Center. The ride into there was very scenic, towering pines all the way up to the entrance. There, we met Dave and he briefly explained how the center operates and how it was founded. He stressed the importance of getting children off their electronic devices and into the outdoors. He also explained how many schools in the area travel to this center on field trips. The front room we were in had many taxidermy of wolves, coyotes, fox, beaver, and various birds. What intrigued me the most was the anaconda snake skin that was brought back from South America. We then moved forward into another room where we viewed live turtles, fish and snakes. He also had a large collection of pelts from mammals, which was great to feel since mammals is my outdoor education subject. After this he took us on the trails and met his hilarious goats. The trail was very interesting and Dave was very educated on many various topics. The trail was very beautiful with so many species of trees and many turtles on the pond he had. I was extremely glad we visited this place. After the nature center we drove to Hartwick pines. Hartwick pines is an old logging area in Michigan with some of the last untouched old growth pines in the U.S. They are massive! We went to a night program and learned a lot of different styles of teaching and presenting. I know I can change and add the things I learned from today to my own presentation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment