Tuesday, November 3, 2015

10/22/15 Steve Acuff


Once again I find myself half asleep writing this journal as a Leader of the Week in a foreign country. Instead of worrying about my comrades traversing rapids in canoes I am stressing about them kayaking open seas that are home to couple ton sea creatures underneath the waves. My team and I have spent the last few days getting the group from the Yosemite Valley to San Diego, down to Baja California and into the Sea of Cortez. None of us new a thing about kayaking or how to pack and plan for an extended sea expedition. But, that is the beauty of this course; through a few fumbles and recoveries we have made it a few kilometers across Bajia de Los Angeles and I am sitting on a nice beach enjoying the sound of the encroaching tide and beautiful stars. Being in a kayak is great; the freedom and control of being in your own craft is awesome compared to a cone and I thoroughly enjoyed not having to deal with anyone else in my boat. But we have tandem kayaks that will test my patience as we traverse the Vermillion Sea. If the sights are anything like today, it wont be hard to enjoy. A huge fin whale graced us with her presence, a pack of dolphins greeted us at our campsite and a sea lion chases schools of fish from the water as we sat on the beach. Ospreys soared, pelicans dove headfirst into the water and a little loon type bird swam underwater at the shoreline. After all that this class doesn’t seem like work. At least until tomorrow when I am reminded of the mountains of schoolwork I have yet to accomplish.


No comments:

Post a Comment