Friday, November 6, 2015

10/26/2015 Josh Samuels




October 26th, 2015

            I awoke at 6:47am, noticing the two instructors were packed and gone. Knowing that we were here for a full day of classes, I presumed they were off nearby enjoying time without our company, probably at the volcano. After packing my things and eating breakfast, I was told to grab 2 water bottles, my whistle, ground cloth, and some sunscreen. I assumed we were in for a day of risk management first aid practice. Oh boy! Was I in for a surprise? Today, we were doing a solo. Four hours in an insolated spot all by yourself. As Acuff and Caleb separated us out into our spots, we all began this experience differently. Kyle built a sundial to know when it was over and how many more minutes he had left. Trent stripped naked and shaded himself in stones before drawing and sketching. Bobby wanted to bring the heat so he stayed in the sun the whole four hours. I hung my ground cloth like a tent, shading myself from the sun. Lying on my sleeping pad I could feel a great breeze through my valley that kept me very cool.
This solo was for reflection of what we need to do individually for what we want our life to be. For myself I have realized that graduate school is not for me. I have much to learn, and many classes to take but not at a university, not yet at least. The rest of the hot sunny day was spent eating and water activates. A few people went hiking, other snorkeling. I went crab catching with two sticks. I was catching small, medium, and even large crabs. After wandering the beach yesterday looking through the trash that had washed up I found a crab cage. I began to fill this cage to see how many I could catch. This cage I filled with crabs before dinner, though since we were not here to harvest from the land we could not kill and eat them. Instead we had tacos. But just saying, crab tacos would have been amazing. Tomorrow is our last full day out here in the bay, the next day we paddle in back to Casa Azul.
            The saying don’t blink really applies the older you become. Day seventy-three out of one hundred and thirteen. I know I blinked and this trip is gone.

Joshua M. Samuels 


No comments:

Post a Comment