Tuesday, November 3, 2015

10/21/15 Josh Samuels


Well that night was a much better night of rest. Last night you could see a lightning storm off to the north-northeast, and the wind here as Casa Azul was much less than that of the previous night. This trip into Baja California has been extremely eye opening. Originally starting out as a lab science major I took Latin in high school. Not being able to use that in daily life made it difficult not only to learn and practice but also to remember. With this as my only experience with a foreign language I never attempted another language, but being here in Baja California I can say being immersed into the culture I have not only begun to learn a few Spanish words, bit I have greatly enjoyed learning and being within the culture.    Well the culture here is far different than the life in the Midwest. The most obvious is the temperature, as I am enjoying a shirtless October. I can say that I have never worried about fresh water or even paying for water to drink at meals. ECOEE classes teach us many skills through experiential learning. Being able to be in a group and understand all of the stages of a group is great for the leadership skills. Then being immersed into another country, culture, and language can teach you many other skills.
            For my final note, today we trained on sea kayaks in the Sea of Cortez. This is the richest marine life in the world, with the backdrop of major hills and islands dotting the horizon. A snorkeler, a yacht, and other boats around made for the perfect place to learn to kayak or to just be. Finally getting back to salt water I feel so alive and at home. We have packed our food, our gear is selected, and tomorrow we will be off. Up and down the peninsula for seven days our experiences and our learning will grow greatly.
            A great thank you, gracias, to all of those who support everyone here on this trip. Not only those who have given money or time, support us emotionally or mentally, but everyone who help conserve or preserve this wonderful world and planet that we are here to enjoy.
-Joshua M. Samuels

No comments:

Post a Comment