Saturday, October 17, 2015

10/13/15 Bobby Liston


10/13/15

            I wake up in a strange place as I look around the southwest desert of Nevada I awe. I slept straight through the night like a baby for the first time in a while. Maybe it was from exhaustion from doing Angel’s landing, the Narrows, or going on a night hike near Area 51. IT is hard for my mind to adjust to how diverse the west can be. Within a few hours, one can be in a completely different ecosystem in the west. The only thing common with the actual parks we visit, is the long white socks with sandals, RVs with bald tires, and foreigners taking pictures of things that are irrelevant to the park. The drive from Nevada to California is an experience all its own. It’s so hard for the virgin Midwest mind to process these purple mountain majesties, when all I see back home is the waves of grain. When I look out of this moving window that is the Ford van, I feel like a kid in a candy store. I love that van, even though the serpentine belt got a little frayed today and needed repairs, it didn’t drop our spirits. It’s one thing to break down in Iowa or Nebraska, but in California it’s priceless. We made it to Yosemite in the dark and everything we missed on the way here in the dark is like the covering of your eyes for a surprise that you can’t wait to see. I know this is the place I have always dreamed of, guess that’s why they call it California love.


No comments:

Post a Comment