Saturday, October 17, 2015

10/04/15 Steve Nutt


Journal Entry October 4th, 2015
Today I woke up and gazed at the mountains of Custer National Forest. The fog was coming in and the setting reminded me of my trip to Bavaria, Germany, another trip I was lucky to be a member of. We left around 7:30pm to go meet Pat Pierson of the US Forest Service and talked about everything from forest service jurisdiction to current environmental issues, which just goes to show that being politically informed is important no matter what field you go into. After we said our goodbyes, it was off to Yellowstone, one of the biggest highlights of the trip. We all stared at the pristine landscape hoping to see a bear, bison, elk, or mouse. Not a moment later, we stopped by to see the row of tourists armed with 10,000 dollar lenses all aimed at a grizzly bear and her cub. This whole trip I had been dying to see a bear in the flesh and now here it is. Part of me, though, felt odd seeing an icon of the wilderness with so many people around to take photos and drive by with cameras ready. While Yellowstone seems very touristy, this is a once in a lifetime experience and I already crossed off something on my bucketlist 20 minutes into the park. I know there is so much more to come in the next couple days and I  know this is just the beginning of my own self-discovery of the Western United States.


No comments:

Post a Comment