Saturday, October 17, 2015

10/05/15 Josh Samuels


20151005
Waking up at 04:00 AM after going to sleep at 11:30 PM from the night before was a challenge. Trying to stay awake on a two-hour drive to try and see the wolves of Yellowstone. Arriving, and awakening in Lamar Valley I got out of the van looking for any signs of wildlife. Only after being waved down that something was to be seen did I believe we would see any wolf today. Seeing a mass of something run down from the hills with great speed across the plains. I believed it was a huge pack of timber wolves. Under closer inspection I realized that their was no wolves, but a heard of bison.
            Something had to have spooked them, or was chasing them as a few of the bison were looking behind them. While this excitement came quick, it left me just the same. Crawling back into the van and driving away from the parking lot I thought to myself, “Nice try. Maybe next time you will see some wolves here at Yellowstone.” Miles down the road it appeared to have a traffic jam of great numbers. Getting out, again the adrenaline racing threw my mind. Communicating with those who have spotting scopes that they have been watching a lone timber wolf.
            Going from cluster to cluster I finally find a sweet woman who let me view through her spotting scope. Wow, I was stunned. Looking directly at this huge black wolf. This was an image that would be ingrained into my mind until I could not remember anything anymore. Hours later ECOEE 2015 hiked the Grand Canyon. Now we are not in Arizona hiking the real Grand Canyon, but in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. First hiking the 300+ stairs down (and up) Uncle Tom’s Trail that took us almost to the waters edge. This was another challenge that most of us had, especially myself with a hip replacement.
            After seeing the wolf (plus two more later in the day), the falls in the Grand Canyon, I know that this course is worth it. I know I choose to be here. I choose to be challenged.

Joshua M. Samuels    


No comments:

Post a Comment